Author Topic: Ask Tom: "Looking at Edition-Based Redefinition, Part 3"  (Read 2075 times)

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ask Tom: "Looking at Edition-Based Redefinition, Part 3"
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:02 PM »
Ask Tom: "Looking at Edition-Based Redefinition, Part 3"

Our technologist concludes his exploration of Edition-Based Redefinition.

In the last issue of Oracle Magazine (March/April 2010), I continued to describe what I consider to be the killer feature of Oracle Database 11g Release 2 : Edition-Based Redefinition. If you recall from the last issue, Edition-Based Redefinition gives you the ability to perform an online application upgrade of your application.

This is the third and final installment of a series of columns examining this new feature. If you have not read the prior two installments, I encourage you to do so before reading this column, because this column builds on the example we’ve been working with.

Last time, our application upgrade was not just a simple patch of our application. It not only replaced some PL/SQL units (patching) but also updated the physical structure of a table involved in our application. It was a true application upgrade that included changes to objects whose type is editionable (our PL/SQL units in the example) and also to some objects whose type is not editionable (our table structures). The following object types are editionable:
  • Synonyms
  • Views (including editioning views, which we’ll define below)
  • All PL/SQL object types (functions, procedures, packages, and so on)

Full article: http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/10-may/o30asktom.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:49:48 PM by Mike »