Author Topic: Still curious about what really happened  (Read 6161 times)

sacrophyte

• View Profile
Still curious about what really happened
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
So the forum "policy guide" mandates that we act nice. Great, I am all for that. In the interests of telling the whole truth without lying, disparaging, casting libel, disambiguity, etc, what really happened? =) So Mr. Dan Morgan left to pursue his own interests; great, fine.

For example, Dan seemed to have been the spokesperson for the PSOUG Online initiative. Although he had a schedule and was taking orders, now I see that the Online Learning Center is suddenly dark ("coming soon"). When is "coming soon"? What happened to the previous schedule? For those of us who registered for classes, is anything going on next week, or is the whole thing canned?

Again, I am not interested in the dirty details, nor the politics of why things happened. I am more curious about what the future of PSOUG looks like, specifically things like the famed DBA Boot Camp. Obviously, Mr. Morgan will still be heavily involved in his own efforts - I cannot help but to wonder what PSOUG's role will be.

Thanks,

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Still curious about what really happened
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
In the interests of telling the whole truth without lying, disparaging, casting libel, disambiguity, etc, what really happened? =) So Mr. Dan Morgan left to pursue his own interests; great, fine.
A short explanation can be found on the PSOUG News page.

For example, Dan seemed to have been the spokesperson for the PSOUG Online initiative. Although he had a schedule and was taking orders, now I see that the Online Learning Center is suddenly dark ("coming soon"). When is "coming soon"?
We hope to have a number of the video-based courses available within a week or so, in cooperation with http://sqlniversity.net. These will include courses by Dan Morgan, Joe Celko, Steven Lewis, PhD, and others.

What happened to the previous schedule? For those of us who registered for classes, is anything going on next week, or is the whole thing canned?
To be honest, we don't know. We're not involved with Mr Morgan's current activities and can't speak for him or what he intends to do.

Again, I am not interested in the dirty details, nor the politics of why things happened. I am more curious about what the future of PSOUG looks like, specifically things like the famed DBA Boot Camp. Obviously, Mr. Morgan will still be heavily involved in his own efforts - I cannot help but to wonder what PSOUG's role will be.
We'll be re-forming the User Group for the Seattle/Pacific Northwest area, and there's a post detailing that here: Oracle User Group.

We intend to pick up where the PSOUG user group left off and support the Oracle community in ways that the old PSOUG never did. For example, job placement assistance, regular meetings, mentoring programs, code exchanges, networking, etc.

As we re-form the User Group, we'll be looking for a number of people to help make it happen by taking on key leadership roles (President, VP, Chairpersons, Membership Directors, etc).

We don't want to continue the past policies that included a somewhat haphazard schedule and a rather loosely-coupled management style. Our goal would be to have a group of Oracle professionals who see the value in a well-respected User Group, the way PSOUG was a year or so ago.

The key thing to keep in mind is that this sort of thing doesn't happen in a vacuum- we want to hear from people who would like to take an active role in the User Group. If this is something that you're interested in seeing happen, PM us and let us know, or discuss it here. We'd love to see some discussion about this and find out if there's a desire for this and a willingness to make it happen. It's not hard, but it will take some people to make it happen. Those people will share in the benefits of the group at every level.

Let us make it clear: The PSOUG site is going to grow and expand, including its reach and services. We sincerely want to support the Oracle community.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:12:06 PM by Mike »

sacrophyte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
In the interests of telling the whole truth without lying, disparaging, casting libel, disambiguity, etc, what really happened? =) So Mr. Dan Morgan left to pursue his own interests; great, fine.
A short explanation can be found on the newbielink:http://psoug.org/news.htm [nonactive].

Yes, actually I asked my question because I read that blurb.   ;)

So, what say ye?  :)

To be honest, I am out of state (way out of state). I really was excited about the Boot Camp ideas and was hoping to bring some of that more local (ie, perhaps Niemiec's Chicago-based MOUG).

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
Yes, actually I asked my question because I read that blurb.   ;)
Well, there you have it. We're not sure what else to say, but if there's anything else you want to know, please ask.

To be honest, I am out of state (way out of state). I really was excited about the Boot Camp ideas and was hoping to bring some of that more local (ie, perhaps Niemiec's Chicago-based MOUG).
Well, perhaps MOUG members might be interested in some distance-learning, like what we'll be offering through the OLC. I mentioned www.SQLUniversity.net- they have some good courses up now and they'll be adding more shortly which we'll probably mirror (possibly at a reduced cost). We're still working out the details but it's going to happen.

We will also likely be offering some Boot Camp courses here at a local vendor's site, and the possibility exists that we would have instructors have courses at other interested user groups as well. Stay tuned, there's lots of stuff in the works. :)

oracledba_ne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »
Well, perhaps MOUG members might be interested in some distance-learning, like what we'll be offering through the OLC. I mentioned newbielink:http://www.SQLUniversity.net- [nonactive] they have some good courses up now and they'll be adding more shortly which we'll probably mirror (possibly at a reduced cost). We're still working out the details but it's going to happen.

We are out of state as well and would be interested in some affordable distance-learning. Please update this forum if you have any further details.

Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
We are out of state as well and would be interested in some affordable distance-learning. Please update this forum if you have any further details.
Thank you for your interest; we certainly will update this as things develop.